As cities transform,
what environments let everyone thrive?
Quick links to current work
• Innovating and synthesizing across boundaries, process-based thinking, and connecting theory or research to application.
• Initiating and developing student/course projects with community collaborators; balancing interests of collaborators and students
• Mentoring and guidance of idea generation and development in others; particular experience with creative responses to urban social, economic, and ecological issues. Skilled at mentoring students from diverse backgrounds, including first-generation students.
• Facilitation of interdisciplinary conversations with students, faculty, practitioners and professionals
• Supervision of interns and assistants; team leadership and coordination
• Experiential (studio), lecture, discussion, and hybrid instruction; course and curriculum development
• Innovative teaching techniques and course structures, including digital and online technologies and social media
• Mixed-methods/quantitative research, incorporating Census data, on-site observation, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and basic statistics
• Print and web publications for professional, scholarly, and public audiences
• Presentations for professional, scholarly, and public audiences. I also organize and chair sessions.
• Proposal preparation, including budgets, schedules, and project management
Susan Dieterlen RLA PhD
Director, DeftSpace Lab
* people in the environment
* sustainable development
* urbanism and urban design
* experiential/ design studio instruction
* sociocultural issues and the environment
* environmental design
* research design
* site materials and construction